September 16, 2011

Green Goddess

This has been my summer of three weddings (including mine) and a funeral.  Lots of laughing, lots of crying, lots of family, and LOTS of eating and drinking.  It's been insane.  


Celebration after celebration of life, and  perhaps I took the liberty of overindulging.  Just a little.  OK, I basically spent months shoveling/pouring whatever I wanted into my maw with a devil may care attitude.  And now the devil has reaped his revenge by cursing me with what I can only describe as a not-quite-immaculately conceived wine and cheese belly.  I feel bloated.  Like a tick.


This is why I've cycled around to my health-binge persona.  I’m all about getting back into my exercise routine, and healthy living.  Until the next trip to Europe, when I will convince myself that if the gods created brie and Bordeaux, it’s good enough for me.

But for now, I turn for inspiration to my green goddess, my fantabulous friend Rebecca, who is living with cancer.  She is a rock star of health who basically told the cancer to go fuck itself with a diet of vitamins, enzymes, juices and raw foods. I myself am not brave enough to go the raw diet route.  Vegan is as close as I ever got. But after three years, I admitted defeat to my undying love of cheese and all things dairy.  I guess this makes me a backslider.  Then I added fish.  Definitely a backslider.  Or a Lacto-Ovo-Pesce-Vegeterian.  But that is just a dumb long ass name, so I’m going to stick with Faketerian, ok?

So, basking in my Faketerian glow, I've been futzing around with this recipe for a no-oil green goddess dressing and discovered that it makes a damn fine pesto.

Green Goddess Dressing

1 bunch of parsley (trim stems)
1 bunch of baby spinach (pre-washed salad spinach works well)
½ bunch of basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic (depending on how garlicky/spicy you like your sauces)
1 zucchini (roughly chopped)
2 cups buttermilk (or 1 skinned and seeded avocado and ½ cup of water)
The juice of half a lemon
1 tsp salt
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp black pepper

Put everything in a blender and give it a whirl till it’s smooth.  Add more liquid if necessary.  Makes around 1½ cups of dressing.  Use on salads, stir into soups, top chicken or fish, add it to your martini, put it on cake, really, whatever.  Will keep in your fridge for a few days.  I just drank a cup of it like it was gazpacho soup.  I’m not kidding.

Green Goddess Pesto
To the above recipe, add the following to the blender:
An additional 2 garlic cloves
½ cup walnuts (or pine nuts, or pistachios, or whatever makes you happy)
½ cup grated romano, or parmesan, or asiago cheese

This pesto is excellent on pasta.  After cooking and straining the pasta, combine the pesto with the hot pasta, and stir.  Add a few cherry tomatoes or some garbanzo beans, if you want.  Go wild.  

5 comments:

  1. A goddess posting Green Goddess recipes- what could be more perfect! Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the charter member of the followers of the Yammer Yammer, Non Non blog. Not my baby sister, who is merely the first person to comment.
    And, in addition, I like the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be the heartiest, most nutritious pesto sauce in the world. Damn, you're good. Bloated like a tick -- nice. Thanks for sharing this, and I am now a faithful follower. You have made a sheep of me. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Love Love it! Recipe and Blog !
    Eileen k

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, saw and loved both! Don't diss Book of Mormon for not having dancing lambs until you see ................................
    Bring diapers.
    Also, please get Casey married. It sounds like such a fun night. And I didn't worry for a second as the tale enfolded, because I knew that Doyle would get you home, unsawed, unraped , skin on and all that stuff that mothers and aunties pray for.
    By the way, I had to select anonymous, because I don't have a url or google, but Auntie M loves you!

    ReplyDelete